Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Paranormal Romance

It seems that paranormal romance is in the cards for me lately! I'm working my way through two right now. The first is the 5th installment in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare: City of Lost Souls. The second is the conclusion to Alexandra Adornetto's Halo trilogy, Heaven. I plan to make some head way on both of those today. Hopefully I'll have awesome things to say about both!

Claire's characters capture me for some reason. The immortal warlock whose lover questions the issues his own mortality poses in their relationship. The young artist whose long-hidden past causes her to enter into a word beyond her imagining. An intense romance that blinds both parties to reason. A best friend cursed with the Mark of Cain after his transformation into a vampire. The inner workings of a group charged with keeping the forces of evil at bay. The rights of the law-abiding "downworlders" whose more ambitious counterparts are often the ones being punished by the Clave. Claire's world-building and character development are enviable in my opinion. I curl up with her books when I want to escape from reality, while away the hours with familiar friends.

Adornetto first drew me in with her writing style rather than her story. The romance that is at the forefront of the Halo trilogy is a bit overdone. Still, the premise is intriguing. The idea of angels having to adjust to a mortal world is entertaining. The idea that a newer angel is closer to humanity felt novel to me. There is also the sense of something greater happening behind the scenes. A desire to know what that is and what it might mean for the central characters makes me intent on finishing the trilogy. The word choice, flow, and pacing are what first stuck out to me while reading the first book in the series though!

More reflections to come as I have more to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment